Quantitative Research for the Life and Social Sciences Program (QRLSSP)
Applications are now closed
Please read the information below before applying
(Please do not use Internet Explorer to submit your application)
Online Application Closed
Program Dates: June 9 - July 31 2021
(The 2021 summer program will be held virtually)
PREPARE FOR THE RIGORS OF GRADUATE SCHOOL:
QRLSSP is an intensive summer research experience that prepares undergraduate students for the rigors of graduate level research at the interface of mathematics, statistics, and the natural and social sciences. Select students are invited to Arizona State University for eight weeks, where their time is split between classroom instruction on research methods and hands-on research projects.
QRLSSP is a research experience for undergraduates (REU); it is not an internship, and students will NOT earn college credit for participation.
HIGH QUALITY INSTRUCTION FROM RENOWNED SCHOLARS:
Participants receive intensive instruction in dynamical systems, stochastic processes, computational methods and modeling delivered by top scientists and guest speakers from around the world.
STUDENT-DRIVEN COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH:
At QRLSSP, students do not work alone. Everything, from homework to research, exists in a collaborative environment with fellow participants, graduate students, postdoctoral students, and visiting scholars. Students work in self-selected groups on research problems of their own choosing, while collaborating with experienced faculty and graduate student mentors. Students, not faculty, select their research topics. By the end of the summer, students have complete a high-quality technical report and research poster, which are presented at national conferences to an audience of their peers and colleagues.
- Undergraduates who have completed at least their sophomore year
- Majoring in math, biology, or related fields
- At least one year of calculus
- African Americans, Latinos and Native Americans are strongly encouraged to apply
- U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents
- $4,000 stipend
- Accepted students will be notified of awards by March 20
- All application materials must be submitted by January 31
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Completed QRLSSP Application: Accessible by the link above
- Personal Statement: In approximately 500 words, double spaced, please describe the following:
- Why are you applying to the QRLSSP summer research program?
- What are your research interests?
- What are your future career goals and what have you accomplished towards these goals?
*Please Note: a Resume/CV is not a personal statement
- College/University Transcripts: A copy of your college/university transcript is required AND must be sent by the university. Official electronic transcripts will be accepted. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Please email to: email@example.com or mail to the address below.
- Faculty Form & Letter of Recommendation:
- Only one letter of recommendation is required.
- The letter of recommendation should to be written on university letterhead and emailed from the faculty reference.
- The form and letter of recommendation must be received by Janurary 31.
- Application requirement checklist (for reference):
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION:
Applications and supporting documents may be submitted via the following options:
1. Applications and Personal Statement:
must be submitted via the online application, https://qrlssp.asu.edu/summerprogram
please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the address below.
Arizona State University
QRLSSP Summer REU
P.O. Box 873901
Tempe, AZ 85287-3901
Please note when submitting your application online, Firefox and Chrome are the preferred web browsers, please do not use Internet Explorer.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or issues submitting your application, please email email@example.com.